Travelling in Australia with the Olympus OM-D

Olympus OM-D + Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 @ f2.8


I travelled to Byron Bay, Australia in March to catch up with my jetsetter girlfriend before she ran off to Denmark to finish her studies. It was a purely 'for fun' trip, we hadn't planned to do or see anything, just lie on the beach and explore the coastline. I didn't want to take too much photography gear so I could spend less time behind the camera and more time with my girlfriend, a pressing problem for most photography enthusiasts I'm sure.

My kit was then kept to the bear essentials. That mean the golden and much sought after 'three lens only bag'. I don't have the golden three lens bag which I think is a 17mm, 25mm, 45mm (that is 35mm, 50mm, 85mm for you big camera people). My bag consisted of the 14mm, 25mm, 75mm and I couldn't have been happier (28mm, 50mm, 150mm).


Olympus OM-D + Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 @ f8

The Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 is a great lens. It delivers the goods time after time and it is a pleasure to use. I keep the lens hood on mine all the time just to protect the front element and with it, it is still a compact lens. With the OM-D and the 25mm slung over my shoulder, it is barely noticeable and you can carry on doing anything and forget about it.

The 25mm f1.4 isn't weather sealed and I have taken mine to some tough locations and there seems to be a bit of sand under the focus ring but other than that it holds up to moisture and dirt just fine.


Olympus OM-D + Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 @ f1.4


Olympus OM-D + Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 @ f8


Olympus OM-D + Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 @ f4


I have written about the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 as a great single lens for out doing things and I'll say it again, this compact beauty is what I'll take out with me if I want to leave the 25mm at the hotel. It can also be slipped into my pocket and forgotten about if I have the 25mm on the camera. The OM-D and the 14mm look so unassuming and non-professional which is a big plus. I can pull this combination out and people don't give it a second look.

Olympus OM-D + Panasonic 14mm f2.5 @ f8


Rikke and I relied on bikes as a way to get around the coast. Most of the shots I took from the bike were one handed relying on the confident AF of the OM-D and the fact that the image stabiliser would fix any wobbly problems my hand might have. Again, it is such a smalls system that you can ride all day and hang out at the beach and bush bash and forget it is there.


Olympus OM-D + Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 @ f4



Olympus OM-D + Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 @ f2.8


Olympus OM-D + Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 @ f2



The final lens that I took was my pride and joy, the single lens that keeps me attached to the m4/3 system: the Olympus 75mm f1.8. I simply love using this lens. It provides me the perfect focal length that my old Canon 100mmm f2.8 did on my Canon 60d and it opens up nice and bright for those after sunset hours when the light is just beautiful.



Olympus OM-D + Olympus 75mm f1.8 @ f1.8



Olympus OM-D + Olympus 75mm f1.8 @ f1.8

And the 75mm also acts as a great short telephoto. It isolates subjects and compresses a scene but not too much as to betray it's focal length.

Olympus OM-D + Olympus 75mm f1.8 @ f5.6



Olympus OM-D + Olympus 75mm f1.8 @ f5.6



Olympus OM-D + Olympus 75mm f1.8 @ f4



Olympus OM-D + Olympus 75mm f1.8 @ f1.8





Olympus OM-D + Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 @ f2.8



Olympus OM-D + Olympus 75mm f1.8 @ f1.8



After Byron Bay, we travelled to Sydney where we were flying out from. Being back in a city, and especially one as touristy as Sydney, I could carry slightly more around in my backpack and just pass myself as a tourist. This three lens kit worked out great, the Olympus 45mm f1.8 would have been an added bonus but then I would have been carrying a bit too much stuff for a trip that wasn't meant to be photography orientated.

Olympus OM-D + Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 @ f4



Olympus OM-D + Olympus 75mm f1.8 @ f5.6



Olympus OM-D + Olympus 75mm f1.8 @ f8



Olympus OM-D + Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 @ f4




Olympus OM-D + Olympus 75mm f1.8 @ f8



Olympus OM-D + Olympus 75mm f1.8 @ f8



Olympus OM-D + Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 @ f3.5


All in all, the three lens m4/3 kit that I took over to Australia worked out great. I only had to charge my battery once which was an unexpected surprise, and the compactness of the three lenses let me enjoy spending time with my girlfriend than figuring out how to carry a lot of larger gear. For reference, a Canon 550d or whatever 3-digit canon camera you want to choose, and the kit 18-55mm is larger than the Olympus OM-D, 75mm, 25mm and 14mm. Just saying... And the Olympus is capable of better images. I know which one I would rather have.

No comments:

Post a Comment